Open Records/Public Information Requests
The below is intended as an informational guide to assist you in submitting an open records or public information request to the Ellis County and District Attorney’s Office.
When responding to a Public Information Act request, the goal of the Ellis County and District Attorney’s Office is to provide the requested information timely, while at the same time protecting privileged documents from public disclosure if disclosure would interfere with the investigation or prosecution of criminal cases.
Please note the information herein is ONLY for records maintained by the Ellis County and District Attorney’s Office. If your request seeks information from other governmental agencies or departments such as the Ellis County Sheriff’s Office or the Ellis County Department of Development your request MUST be directed to that agency/department.
General Information & Requirements
- All requests must be submitted in writing. Only written requests trigger a governmental body's obligations under the Texas Open Records Act.
- Once the information you have requested has been gathered it is reviewed to determine what, if anything, can be released under the law and applicable exceptions.
- There will be a fee per page which will be due upon receipt of the requested records. You will be notified by the District Attorney's Office that the records are ready to be picked up at 109 South Jackson St, Waxahachie, Texas 75165.
- You must supply valid contact information for your request to be processed. Please provide your full name, mailing address, contact phone number and email address, if available.
Information to be Released
- If requested information cannot be produced within ten (10) working days the District Attorney's Office will notify you in writing of the reasonable date and time when it will be available.
Written requests may be submitted by any of the means indicated below:
- In person at: Ellis County & District Attorney’s Office, 109 S. Jackson St., Waxahachie, Texas 75165.
- By mail to: Ellis County & District Attorney’s Office, 109 S. Jackson St., Waxahachie, Texas 75165; ATTN: Open Records Clerk
- By facsimile to: 972.825.5047 ATTN: Open Records Clerk
- By email to: email@example.com
Texas Government Code, Chapter 552 – Public Information
Office of the Texas Attorney General Public Information Act Handbook 2020
Office of the Texas Attorney General Sample Request Form
National Freedom of Information Coalition Sample Letter